CHS Remote Learning Orientation
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
REMOTE LEARNING ORIENTATION
Charleston High School Presentation
- Work on a smooth, even surface. Your laptop generates heat while it is running, and it needs to be well ventilated. Placing it on a pillow, blanket, or similar surface can block airflow and cause overheating.
- Avoid eating and drinking near your device.
- Keep the protective case on your device. Take care not to drop your device.
- Regularly clean off dust, fingerprints, etc. Clean the screen with a microfiber towel, and only use sprays designed to clean electronic devices. Compressed air is ideal for cleaning ports, keyboards, etc.
- Power down your device completely (or do a restart) once in a while so that it can update and perform routine maintenance tasks. Click the Start icon in the bottom-left corner and click on Power to accomplish this. Simply closing the laptop does not power it down.
- Declutter your device. Unnecessary files stored on your computer can take up valuable space and cause it to run slower. Organize, delete, and declutter often to keep your device running smoothly.
- Avoid extreme temperatures. Do not leave your device in a vehicle when it is very hot or very cold outside.
Microsoft 365/Teams for Video Meetings
- Each student has a Microsoft 365 account. This includes access to Outlook for email, as well as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneDrive cloud storage, and Teams for video meetings with teachers.
- Logins and passwords have been distributed for Microsoft 365. They are the same login/password that will be used to sign into your district-issued device.
- You can access Microsoft 365 from the link on the district website, from Clever, or from going to www.office.com
- The first time you click on Teams it will ask if you want to download the Windows desktop app or use the web app instead. Either option is acceptable.
- There is also a Teams app that can be installed on your phone to participate in video meetings.
- To attend a live class meeting, click on the class (the “team”), then click on the purple camera icon to join.
- Empower is a tool for designing, creating, and assigning standards-based curriculum for students and teachers. Students will be able to complete activities and submit their work online using this resource.
- Students and Guardians can access Empower from the link on the district website, from Clever, or by going to charleston.empowerlearning.net
- Logins/Passwords for students and guardians have been distributed along with the devices. This is a different password than what is used for Microsoft 365 and their device.
- Be sure to utilize the district's Remote Learning Page on our website if you have questions or concerns related to remote learning.