The district’s Re-Opening Planning Team met on Wednesday, October 7 to review current practices, preview planned practices and re-opening plans, and consider other ideas and logistics for safely re-opening schools for in-person instruction. Highlights from the team’s discussion include:
- The incremental increase of on-site learning opportunities for students has been successful. We plan to continue these efforts between now and November 4.
- The group discussed the idea of a “soft opening” following a hybrid or half-time schedule during the week of October 26th. Advantages, disadvantages and related logistics were shared by members of the team. As a result, district officials have determined that such soft opening options will no longer be explored.
- The district still currently plans to re-open for all students on November 4th with a remote learning option available. All students who intend to return to in-person instruction will return on November 4th following a daily early dismissal schedule. This plan is pending any order from the Governor’s Office, Illinois State Board of Education or health department guidance.
- Families should realize that returning to in-person instruction may still require periods of remote learning. Remote learning may be required when/if a mandatory quarantine is issued for individual students, groups of students, classes, school, or district, or if adequate supervision is not available for students due to staff quarantine/illness. We urge families to continue to keep childcare options available for these circumstances.
- The Illinois State Board of Education is encouraging parents/guardians to provide their own transportation to and from school, when possible, to keep school buses to limited capacity.
- If you need to make changes to your child's transportation plans (i.e. add or remove bus services), please see these instructions on how to do that in Skyward Family Access or you can contact your child's school or the bus garage directly.
BUILDING PHONE NUMBERS:
- High School (217) 639-5000
- Middle School (217) 639-6000
- Jefferson (217) 639-7000
- Carl Sandburg (217) 639-4000
- Mark Twain (217) 639-8000
- Ashmore (217) 349-3000
- Central Office (217) 639-1000